I said in last month’s review that February was one of my least favourite months of the year and that I was looking forward for it to end, but it actually wasn’t that bad, and it turned out to be a pretty good month with some pretty cool highlights!
- Snow: We had some snow in January, but it was nothing compared to the first weeks of February when we had pretty heavy snow that stayed for days. Of course, here it never lasts a long time so you don’t actually have time to get tired of or annoyed by it, and it just makes everything feel magical, even though it’s absolutely freezing!
- Baby turtles: I told you last month that I had adopted a turtles’ nest through an initiative of two amazing bloggers… well the babies hatched this month and Markus and Micah sent me the cutest pictures of my baby turtles making their way towards the sea. I was so proud for my babies, and contributing to something like this made me want to do more of these things in the future, so I will try to make it a goal for March to find new ways to help the world a bit!
- Warm spring-like days: Can you believe it? The sun came back at the end of February and the days got warmer, so much that it really felt like spring was already there! Flowers and trees started to bloom again, and you could actually see that the mood of the whole city getting better. It was the perfect occasion to enjoy some “quiet” moments in the park – an idea that almost everyone else in Brussels had…
Latest trips and adventures
- This month has actually been filled with adventures, that I just didn’t have the time to report here, but the first one was a trip to Bruges with my boyfriend, at the beginning of the month. I had already been last year with my mum, before the pandemic started, and the experiences couldn’t have been more different: from a rainy city, crowds of tourists everywhere and countless small touristy shops, to a beautiful weather, and almost empty streets… it was completely different! I can’t wait to tell you more about this in another post.
- Last week, I also visited the city of Antwerp, which is far from being as gorgeous as Bruges – which looks like a fairy-tale town. Even though the city in itself is not particularly beautiful, it was really nice to walk around there, browse the small and quirky shops, and enjoy the sun. Thanks to the spring-like weather I mentioned before, it was very enjoyable.
- I am closing off this month’s adventures with a visit to the MIMA museum in Brussels, a museum of visual arts, which hosted an exhibition reflecting on matters such as technology, artificial intelligence and automatism. The exhibition in itself was quite small, but very interesting, and the artist’s use of electronic and digital means really made me think of my experience at the Linz Ars Electronica Festival.
Hobbies and distractions:
- I started re-watching Harry Potter in January and continued this month. This time it was with the “middle ones”, including the 6th, which is one of my absolute favourites. I loved immersing myself in this magical universe again, and discovering again things that I had forgotten. This also really motivated me to read the books again… Yes, I know, I should watch and read new things before, but I just can’t help it! Are you the same?
- I also continued my journey as a proud plant mama, buying new plants and taking care of my “babies”. Somehow, it just brings me a lot of joy to see them thrive, but it also comes with its share of frustrations as they are not always so responsive to my love and care… apart from that, they also make my space nicer, which in turn makes me very happy!
- This month I managed to find some sort of routine, on some weeks, to dedicate myself to my creative hobbies, and it made me realise how much they are actually beneficial for my mood and health in general. I should definitely start prioritizing them!
February just flew by, and it’s probably because it was packed with adventures and activities. In a single month we had sub-zero icy temperatures and warm sunny days that almost felt like summer. For this reason, I went out a lot more this month and I feel like I got out of the weird state of mind I was in at the end of January. However, I realise more and more how important it is for me to have a routine and some chill alone time, so I will make sure to make more time for that in March.
Looking forward to:
- Going back to “normal”: this month, almost a year after the first lockdown, the weight of all the restrictions and the state of the world in general felt heavier than before, and I can’t wait to go back to a more “normal” situation, with open restaurants, no restrictions on travel and, most importantly, on the number of people you can see.
- Quiet moments: in March, I want to focus on slowing down and enjoying the present moment a bit more, on building up routines and systems that work, and on aligning myself with my values and yearly theme. Hopefully I can find more balance during the weeks between alone/quiet times and adventures.
How was February for you? What are you looking forward to?
Published last year in February:Going to a ball in Vienna
– A short holiday in Catalonia, Spain